Students to help develop City Center II future plans

Scott Chappelle, president of Strathmore Development Co., discusses with students about the City Center II project at Hubbard Hall Monday afternoon. Students will provide their inputs as part of their hospitality business class project, covering areas such as finance, design, construction and marketing. Justin Wan/The State News
Scott Chappelle, president of Strathmore Development Co., discusses with students about the City Center II project at Hubbard Hall Monday afternoon. Students will provide their inputs as part of their hospitality business class project, covering areas such as finance, design, construction and marketing. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

An MSU course could give students the opportunity to have a hand in the future plans of the City Center II development project.

City Center II is a plan to significantly change several vacant buildings on the corner of Abbot Road and Grand River and Evergreen avenues in downtown East Lansing.

The $97 million development design project is contracted to Strathmore Development Co.

Aspects of the project include a hotel, a black box theater, office and retail space, a parking structure and various residential spaces.

The development project, which currently is under negotiation by Strathmore. and city officials, has caused controversy among residents, city officials and others since its inception, particularly on financing issues and concerns.

In the course, which is offered through the School of Hospitality Business, students will work with Strathmore, city officials and others involved with City Center II to develop strategies for four different sections of the project: brand development, sustainability and sustainable development, optimal efficiency design and financial assumptions of market demand. The students will present their findings at the end of the semester.

East Lansing city officials have been involved with the class for the past several years, with East Lansing Community and Economic Development Administrator Lori Mullins speaking to students about public-private partnerships and other aspects of city development, Planning and Community Development Director Tim Dempsey said.

“The School of Hospitality (Business) is focused on hotel management and hotel development, so it kind of fits with their objectives,” Dempsey said.

Scott Chappelle, the president of Strathmore, said the company has lectured and supported other MSU student groups in the past and finds the relationship between students and the company to be beneficial for both parties. Student work throughout this particular course will be used in final designs of the City Center II project, Chappelle said.

Chappelle and other architects and developers of the project presented the class with the background of City Center II Monday.

Although the course is a requirement for many in the School of Hospitality Business, working with a live case study on a current development isn’t something many students have the chance to work with, said associate professor A.J. Singh, who teaches the course.

Hospitality business senior Rasheeda Augustine said the main draw for her to take the course was the opportunity to be involved in a real development project as opposed to just being taught material. She said she is considering going into development as a career and sees the potential of the project as an excellent way to hone her craft.

“It really stood out to me as something valuable to be part of,” she said. “I just want (the City Center II project) to make sense and be profitable in the future … and for the development to improve East Lansing.”

“It is important to note that this will not be a rhetorical exercise,” Chappelle said. “We are relying on the student groups to move various aspects of the project forward.”

Chappelle said the company currently is working to close construction financing and has begun releasing aspects of the materials to the city last week.

Regardless of the final outcome of the project, Singh said he was confident those participating in the class would benefit from their participation.

“Where the project goes, that’s out of our hands,” Singh said. “From a student learning perspective, it’s a great opportunity.”

Share and discuss “Students to help develop City Center II future plans” on social media.