Saturday, May 4, 2024

Terry Jones speaks on Islam, American politics at Capitol

Florida pastor Terry Jones came to the state Capitol to express his views on Islam and government policy. An MSU student shares his feelings on the ramifications of Jones’ message while a Jones supporter describes his fears about Islam.

As the rain came Wednesday evening, Terry Jones’ supporters left him high and dry.

The controversial Florida pastor — known for declaring Sept. 11 International Burn a Koran Day a year ago — spoke on the steps of the Capitol in Lansing about Islam and the state of American politics.

“Americans as a whole are naïve and uninformed,” Jones told the attendees. “Our government is not taking the threat of Islam seriously.”

Before the event, Jones said officials the Capitol told him to expect more than 10,000 visitors for his speech, but the actual total was closer to 30 people, many of whom opposed his views.

Jones came to Lansing to offer his support to a bill sponsored by Rep. Dave Agema, R-Grandville Mich., which would prevent state courts from implementing foreign laws, notably Islamic law.

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero, who described Jones as “a national nut-job,” said the bill is merely an attempt to incite religious and ethnic hatred.

“It’s … just ignorance and trying to create a problem where there is none,” Bernero said. “We have the law of the constitution, and I see no threat to that.”

In an effort to promote unity, Lansing hosted an interfaith program at the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1701 E. Saginaw St., in Lansing, to offer community members a place to discuss religion and stand against Jones’ message, Bernero said.

“Part of it is to wrap our arms … around our Muslim brothers and sisters and let them know we don’t approve of Jones’ approach,” he said.

MSU’s Muslim Students’ Association President and kinesiology senior Faraz Anjum said Muslim students are often in disbelief over the views Jones expresses.

“We don’t understand how at this time there could still be such an extreme view of Islam,” Anjum said.

Abdalmajid Katranji, public relations coordinator for the Islamic Center of Greater Lansing, 920 S. Harrison Road,, said despite the center’s experience having a desecrated Quran left at its doors in September 2010, the community largely is accepting of Muslims in the area.

The Islamic Center offered an invitation to eat and discuss Islam with Jones while he was in town, but Jones said he never received the invitation and wouldn’t have attended even if he had.

“I’ve talked to many Muslim leaders, and they tell you what you want to hear,” Jones said.

Ultimately Katranji said one of Jones’ biggest misunderstandings is the nature of the community he was speaking to, where he believes religious tolerance and acceptance are paramount.

“Mid-Michigan is one of the most hospitable and friendly places to live in Michigan,” he said. “We may have a few people that have problem interacting with the Muslim community. But overall we’re a fabric of the community, and I would live no where else. Mr. Jones can’t ruin that.”

Share and discuss “Terry Jones speaks on Islam, American politics at Capitol” on social media.