Ageism lawsuit deadline approaches

<p>Spaeth</p>

Spaeth

As the deadline approaches for the MSU College of Law to respond to a $500,000 lawsuit brought against it by a former job applicant, the college’s administrators still are unsure of what action they will take.

The college has until Friday to respond to an age discrimination lawsuit filed against it by Nicholas Spaeth — a former job applicant who claims he was not given a fair evaluation because of his age.
MSU College of Law marketing and communications manager Erika Marzorati said the college still is coordinating with their attorneys handling the case to see how they will respond.

The college hired John Simpson and Michelle Pardo of Washington, D.C.-based Fulbright & Jaworksi LLP to handle the case, which is being held in the Washington, D.C., U.S. District Court.

Spaeth’s attorney Lynne Bernabei said she has not heard from the College of Law’s legal team since the deadline was extended Aug. 24.

She said she does not expect to hear from MSU prior to the upcoming deadline, rescheduled for Oct. 14.

Bernabei said Spaeth’s qualifications are “tremendous,” particularly in areas that are relevant in today’s economy, such as tax and business law.

“Having someone with his expertise now with the drastic charges in the economy would be invaluable if a law school would hire him,” she said.

Spaeth applied for professorial and teaching jobs at more than 100 universities — including MSU — through the Association of American Law Schools. He did not receive an interview with any of them.

Spaeth is a 61-year-old former Rhodes Scholar who graduated from Stanford University’s Law School, worked as a U.S. Supreme Court clerk and was North Dakota’s attorney general.

Bernabei said Spaeth plans to file complaints against more law schools in the near future, but he currently is continuing his search for a job in the academic field. Bernabei said he has two job interviews with law schools in the coming week.

After the lawsuit was announced in late July, College of Law Dean Joan Howarth released a statement regarding the issue.

In the statement, Howarth said the college received applications from 800 attorneys in the Association of American Law Schools registry.

“MSU Law did not and does not discriminate on the basis of age,” Howarth said in the statement.

“The new entry-level professors we hired this year range in age from their 30s to over 60. Mr. Spaeth’s apparent decision to target MSU Law is mystifying.”

Share and discuss “Ageism lawsuit deadline approaches” on social media.