Delta Chi smashes car to raise money for cancer research

From left, advertising sophomore Ally Fiteny and business sophomore Courtney Zotis smash the roof of a car Saturday morning at the Delta Chi Fraternity house. The brothers at Delta Chi collected a fee to crush the car which was donated to cancer research. Matt Hallowell/The State News

Students climbed on top of a maize and blue painted car on Saturday morning at Delta Chi Fraternity and dented the hood, shattered the headlights and knocked in the doors.

Besides highlighting the football rivalry, the destruction was a way for the group to raise money for cancer research. For the second time this year, the Delta Chi fraternity house received a donated car paid for by U-Haul and smashed it to raise money for The V Foundation for cancer research.

The V Foundation, an organization of physicians and research scientists who recommend funding for cancer research projects, was formed in 1993 by ESPN and Jim Valvano, who coached men’s basketball at Johns Hopkins University, Iona College, Bucknell University and North Carolina State University. The foundation raises millions of dollars each year for cancer research projects.

Last spring, Delta Chi raised just more than $800 for the foundation, and Saturday, they raised about $500, said Mitch Baldwin, sociology junior and Delta Chi Vice President of Philanthropy.
The fraternity had a table at the event to accept donations.

“This was a really involved event, and there were a lot of people involved to make the whole puzzle come together,” he said.

Sororities and fraternities from MSU were not the only ones who participated, as members of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority from the University of Michigan attended as well.

“I think it is a great idea that we have the Michigan tailgate and a car decorated as Michigan colors and everyone wants to hit it,” supply chain management sophomore and Delta Chi philanthropy chair Zak Shafer said. “(The event) really shows a lot about who we are at the Delta Chi fraternity.”

A Monster Energy truck was parked on the side of the house, and representatives were passing out energy drink products to students at the event. A mechanical bull was available for students to ride as well.

“Obviously, Monster wants to be here to (help) raise money, give money and to show what Delta Chi has,” Shafer said.

The Delta Chi Fraternity house intends to have more philanthropy events throughout the academic year and plans to have another car smashing event for cancer next year, Shafer said.

“I think it’s great to give back to the community, and it’s great to show how much we care about the this campus and the university as a whole,” he said.

Smashing a car spray-painted maize and blue obviously sent a message to the opposing school, but it still was a way for both universities to benefit the cause, nutritional sciences sophomore Bryan Aepelbacher said.

“It is a good way to (raise money) because you get students from both colleges to raise money for a good cause,” he said.

Share and discuss “Delta Chi smashes car to raise money for cancer research” on social media.