SlutWalk speaks out against abuse

Protestors march in and along Grand River Avenue Friday as a part of Slutwalk. Slutwalk is a protest organized to speak out again sexual violence and rape culture. Matt Radick/The State News
Protestors march in and along Grand River Avenue Friday as a part of Slutwalk. Slutwalk is a protest organized to speak out again sexual violence and rape culture. Matt Radick/The State News —
Photo by Matt Radick | and Matt Radick The State News

Despite chilly temperatures, strong winds and rain, about 100 women dressed in their most revealing attire Friday and marched down Grand River Avenue as part of a SlutWalk.

The event was led by MSU’s Women’s Council as a way to show women should be able to dress in whatever manner they choose without opening themselves up to sexual assault.

According to the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report released this week by the university, there were 14 forcible sex offenses on campus in 2010, down from 16 in 2009.

As a survivor of sexual violence, Women’s Council co-chair and Residential College in the Arts and Humanities senior, Alyx Ross said she hoped the event would bring strength to other survivors of sexual assault and show there are people who care about what they have been through.

She said the shame and embarrassment can be one of the biggest challenges survivors face.

“I’m a survivor of sexual violence, and I’m a survivor of relationship violence, and I’m still embarrassed about saying those things out loud,” she said.

Residential College in the Arts and Humanities senior Derek Flint said he heard the event was taking place this weekend and talked about it with his friends.

“I don’t think it was that effective,” he said. “I don’t think walking around in stereotypical slut-wear is a good way to take a stand against rape.”

As a member of the Coalition Against Sexual Violence, history and Residential College in the Arts and Humanities senior Rikki Reynolds said she believes there is a rape culture on campus because of a lack of support available to victims.

“The criticism is going to be that we’re just trying to get attention,” she said. “But I think it’s really important in a culture where constantly, every day of my life, I feel threatened on this campus.”

The university could not be reached for comment Sunday. MSU provides help to victims of sexual abuse through the Counseling Center’s Sexual Assault Program.

Geography senior Jennifer Lacey attended the walk wearing only a bikini and plastic wrap. Although she recognized she probably would be cold and uncomfortable, Lacey said it was important to come out and make a statement.

“I always say I should be able to go down the street butt-naked and no one should bother me, so I just kind of put that into practice,” she said. “No matter what a woman is wearing, … you have to get consent.”

Share and discuss “SlutWalk speaks out against abuse” on social media.