Commit to stopping sexual assault at MSU

The MSU community’s commitment to stopping sexual assaults should be stronger and even more resolute today because of the recent alleged assault in Armstrong Hall. Both male and female students must know and perceive the difference between a regrettable decision and a sexual assault.

All students also have a responsibility to not put themselves in a position to encourage sexual assault.

Female students shouldn’t have to change their lifestyle because of the threat of sexual assault, but that’s no excuse to act recklessly. Female students can act responsibly by not walking home alone.

Although that might sound like trite advice, those are steps women can take to keep themselves safe.

But no amount of caution will stop a determined attacker; victims can’t change the actions of their aggressors. Combating sexual assault is the responsibility of both genders.

Male students need to be equally, if not more so, responsible about sexual assault. That includes being aware enough to know “no means no.” In addition to being personally accountable, male students can help prevent sexual assault by not being a bystander.

Monitoring the behavior of other guys and helping women get home safely goes a long way toward preventing sexual assault.

Comparative cultures and politics junior Jared Schulman, co-founder of the Collaboration of Male Peer-educators Against Sexual Assault and Stereotypes, or COMPASS, told The State News more than 75 percent of sexual assaults are committed by acquaintances of the victim. So students can’t only look out for strangers when it comes to sexual assaults; they also have to be on the lookout with their friends.

Friends, male or female, should not let friends fall victim to — or commit — sexual assault.

Also, blaming the victims of sexual assault is counterproductive; it prevents more assaults from being reported.

Even if alcohol is involved, that’s no excuse to condone sexual assault and shouldn’t dissuade students from going to the authorities. Students can’t let perceived skepticism — from the police, from friends, from anyone — prevent them from reporting the trauma of sexual assault.

There is a difference between a mistake and sexual assault. Yes, the burden of proof for sexual assault is complicated. Sure, there is a gray area between sex students might regret in the morning and assault.

However, none of that changes the fact that “no means no,” no matter what the scenario is. And sex without consent — or sex with drunken consent — is sexual assault.

Students are the ones who should step up and help stop the sexual assaults on campus.

Share and discuss “Commit to stopping sexual assault at MSU” on social media.