Merchant celebrates 100th win at MSU vs. Oakland

As quickly as she smiled for photos and waved to fans before Sunday’s game against the Oakland Grizzlies, MSU head coach Suzy Merchant was already back to the task at hand.

Before Sunday’s game at Breslin Center, Merchant was honored with a plaque commemorating her 300th career victory Tuesday against Milwaukee, but with the Oakland Grizzlies starting quickly and gaining an early lead, there wasn’t much time to celebrate.

After grinding through a tough first half the Spartans wereable to pull away from the Grizzlies to win 67-42 and give Merchant another milestone — her 100th victory as MSU head coach.

Senior guard Porsche Poole led the team in scoring with 16 points and five rebounds and has served as a steadying force forMSU.

The Spartans improved to 10-0 all-time when she leads theteam in scoring and 19-3 when she scores in double-figures.

Although Sunday’s victory makes Merchant the quickest MSU coach to the 100-win milestone, she said records aren’t something she thinks much about.

“Some of that means you’ve been doing it for a long time,” she said. “For me, it’s about doing the best we can to get wins and appreciate the blessing I have to be Michigan State head coach.”

MSU began the game in a zone defense, but the Grizzlies’ patient passing helped them to a 15-12 lead midway through the first half, prompting Merchant to change it up.

Following a timeout the Spartans switched to an aggressive man-to-man defense and Oakland head coach Beckie Francis said the change indefenses, combined with a quick scoring run to put the Spartans up by 6 at thehalf, gave MSU a burst of energy.

“I think the fact that they switched up those defenses could have had an impact,” Francis said. “We were right there and they put a couple of those (shots) in. Heading to the locker room it’s (always) a big deal — that mojo.”

A big part of the Spartans increased second-half intensity was junior forward Courtney Schiffauer, who scored eight points, grabbed six rebounds and fought her way to the free throw line nine times, nearly half the team’s total.

With the Spartans having an especially young team outside oftheir starting five, Merchant said it’s critical for Schiffauer, as an upperclassman, to demonstrate leadership. Schiffauer said it’s a responsibility she takes seriously.

“I take it as a leadership role to start off the game, leading the team trying to get energy,” she said. “We’ve been a little bit flat the past couple of days (and) this being my fourth year … I know what you have to do to be focused and we all take it on ourselves to help the younger players realize that.”

Share and discuss “Merchant celebrates 100th win at MSU vs. Oakland” on social media.