MSU, Iowa even matchup

Then-junior wide receiver Keith Nichol stiff arms Iowa defensive back Tyler Sash on Oct. 30, 2010 at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. State News File Photo

This is the rematch the No. 13 MSU football team has waited for.

After a little more than a year of waiting, the Spartans get their chance to redeem themselves of a 37-6 loss to Iowa in Kinnick Stadium last season.

Similar to last year’s matchup, there are major implications in Saturday’s game. Both teams control their own destiny and, if they win out, will appear in the inaugural Big Ten title game in three weeks.

Senior quarterback Kirk Cousins’ performance on the road this season has been questionable at best. In 112 passing attempts away from Spartan Stadium, he has thrown four interceptions and only two touchdowns.

Iowa’s secondary, on the other hand, has created few turnovers and, as a whole, are one of the conference’s worst pass defenses. Allowing 234 passing yards per game, the team ranks 10th in the Big Ten.

Edge: slight MSU. MSU has new life with Nebraska’s loss to Northwestern last weekend and, combined with Cousins’ motivation from throwing three picks in last year’s contest, could make him due for a big showing Saturday.

Iowa quarterback James Vandenburg and wide receiver Marvin McNutt vs. MSU pass defense will be the most interesting aspect of the game. MSU’s defense currently allows the least passing yards in the conference (145.9 per game) and have tallied the second most sacks (26).

Unlike the Spartans offense, the defense’s success has translated to road games. Needing to get pressure on Ohio State’s quarterbacks, the Spartans set a school record with nine sacks. And having to contain Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd (albeit in a loss) the secondary held him to 84 receiving yards.

But Vanderburg is a different quarterback than most the Spartans have faced. He is a pocket passer, something MSU hasn’t seen since Central Michigan. And with help from McNutt, his main target, Vandenburg’s thrown for 2,089 yards this season (second in the Big Ten, right behind Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson).

Edge: even. Although MSU has contained Wilson, Denard Robinson and Taylor Martinez this year, the Hawkeyes signal caller in an underrated player that will be a difficult test for the secondary.

MSU won’t be able to stack the box against Iowa running back Coker, who is a dominant force at tailback for the Hawkeyes and that could be a problem. However, the Spartans have someone to clog the holes in junior defensive tackle Jerel Worthy. Behind Worthy is sophomore linebacker Max Bullough, who is quietly becoming one of the conference’s better linebackers. And with 29 tackles in the past two games, sophomore defensive end William Gholston isn’t shy to stopping the run.

Coker is a bus and he leads a league stacked with runners in rushing yards.

Edge: very slight Iowa. Coker is good, especially at home where the Hawkeyes are undefeated. This is going to be a great game and unlike last year, this should be a battle.

Share and discuss “MSU, Iowa even matchup” on social media.