Open Doors Report ranks MSU No. 1 for study abroad

MSU is ranked among the top 10 institutions for both study abroad participation and international student enrollment — the only Big Ten school to place in the top 10 on both lists — in the Institute of International Education’s annual Open Doors Report released Monday.

The university also is one of only four higher education institutions in the U.S. to make the top 10 on both lists. The university ranked second — behind New York University, a private school — for study abroad participation with more than 2,500 students reporting global travels in the 2009-10 school year and ninth for international student enrollment with more than 5,700 students on campus in 2010-11.

Brett Berquist, executive director in MSU’s Office of Study Abroad, said this is the seventh year in a row MSU has been the No. 1 public university for study abroad in terms of student participation.

“We’re pleased to see the recognition,” Berquist said. “It shows the commitment of the university and students to add that experience to their undergraduate degrees.”

With more than 275 study abroad programs in more than 60 countries on all seven continents, MSU offers a wide variety of experiences that faculty and administrators feel are crucial to developing global citizens, Berquist said.

Four other Big Ten universities made the top 10 institutions awarding credit for study abroad, including Pennsylvania State University, Indiana University, University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin.

Special education junior Ashley Justice, who traveled to London this past summer to participate in a study abroad program through MSU, said it’s important for students to experience the world through travel and studies.

“(Study abroad) is a great way to enrich students’ education,” Justice said. “It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.”

Although study abroad participation at MSU as well as other institutions across the nation experienced lower numbers of student involvement following the economic crisis in 2008, numbers are now on the rise, Berquist said.

Chris Bargerstock, assistant director in MSU’s Office of International Students and Scholars said the Open Doors recognition is “wonderful” since international students make up more than 10 percent of the university’s student population.

“It’s definitely a sign that MSU is a global institution,” Bargerstock said.

A large increase in international students occurred because of the rise of middle class families in China.

More than 3,000 Chinese students currently are enrolled at MSU, up by about 600 from fall 2010, Bargerstock said.

“You have to have a global education to survive,” she said.

Share and discuss “Open Doors Report ranks MSU No. 1 for study abroad” on social media.