Universities should diversify admissions

It seems at MSU as though diversity is lacking and could use some growth. Following a recent release of guidelines from President Barack Obama’s administration for universities to take additional factors into consideration during the application process, MSU potentially could increase its admissions diversity for the better.

The new guidelines do not encourage universities to use race as a determining factor, but to take issues that could have affected high school performance into consideration, such as socioeconomic and geographic factors.

The lack of diversity in applicants is why this is even a point of discussion. The first step would be an increase of public university recruitment in lower income areas., which will aid MSU in creating a more diverse student body.

Yes, racial divides naturally occur in the U.S. These new guidelines could in turn increase racial diversity at universities, but it isn’t the main purpose of the push of the Obama administration.

It could increase the MSU’s diversity in a positive way and provide opportunities to those who might have not otherwise been given a shot at success.

However, these guidelines are not a mandate to universities; each university can proceed as it sees fit.

Comparing the résumé of a student from a school with more opportunities to that of a student coming from a high school in a poor area with few chances at success limiting of the candidates universities are looking for.

There are numerous high school students who never will be given the opportunity to take Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses because their school simply cannot afford it.

A lack of those classes and extracurricular activities on an application doesn’t say anything about the motivation or potential success of an individual student. However, it currently affects how they are seen by college admission standards.

It is unfair to not give those students a fair chance at a successful college education at MSU because of where they came from. Economic factors definitely are a part of college admissions, and universities should be encouraged to leave their comfort zones.

Also, to compare students who had fewer opportunities with students who were provided with endless chances shows the elitist bias of MSU and other public universities. A university is not only a school, but a community that challenges world views and explores new cultures. To only accept students based on a inflexible standard would be a hindrance to the cultural learning aspect of students at public universities.

There also is no way of foreseeing the success of any student prior to his or her college years. A student could come in from a school in an upper-class area with a high ACT score, a long list of extracurricular activities and a great grade point average, and still end up not fitting at MSU.

Conversely, the university could provide an opportunity for a student from a poor socioeconomic area with the same ACT and grade point average and few extracurricular activities who might end up succeeding.

MSU should find a way to offer more opportunities to those from low-income areas.

Share and discuss “Universities should diversify admissions” on social media.