Sunday, May 5, 2024

Budget deficit makes FRIB funding uncertain

Funding for the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, at MSU is anything but certain following statements made by a federal official Wednesday.

Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu could not commit to the status of the funding for the $600 million nuclear science project during an interview with reporters at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show.

“If you look across the Department of Energy … and you look at what we think we can afford in a budget projection given our deficit … we have to be very careful,” he said. “Because we can’t be starting six things, and we can only afford four things.”

FRIB’s home at MSU was announced by federal officials in December 2008 with an expected construction completion date by 2020.

In previous interviews with The State News, MSU officials have touted the potential economic impacts of the project as upwards of 1,000 researchers from around the world could work in East Lansing at the facility.

During an interview with reporters Wednesday, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said the facility “already brought in 200 scientists to the state” as the process continues to build “what would be a world-class national facility.”

But until the check is signed, DOE spokesman Damien LaVera reiterated such uncertainty in an email.

“While the Department continues to believe this is an important project, our nation faces tough economic times and difficult budget choices have to be made,” he said. “At this point, we have not made a decision on the level of support for this project.”

MSU officials said Wednesday the project still is on track despite the shaky funding picture.

“We recognize these are difficult times, but we remain optimistic in part because of the congressional support for the program that was expressed in the 2012 fiscal year spending bill,” university spokesman Kent Cassella said, adding the budgeting process still is in its early stages.
Recent project reviews with the DOE indicated the project still will break ground this summer, Cassella said.

FRIB project manager Thomas Glasmacher expressed little concern, calling today’s interview with Chu “less exciting than it sounds” because next year’s federal budget is not official and establishing budgets happens every year, he said.

U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., lashed out at the federal government following Chu’s statement, urging the department to keep the funding in place.

“MSU and the state of Michigan have met their commitments in this partnership, and it would be unconscionable if the federal government failed to live up to its commitments in meeting this critical national priority,” Levin said in a statement.

Staff writer Ian Kullgren contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Budget deficit makes FRIB funding uncertain” on social media.