City Council selects Lahanas as city manager

Interim City Manager George Lahanas now will take on the role permanently

Editor’s note: This story was altered to accurately reflect councilmember Nathan Triplett’s stance on candidate Brian Murphy.

The East Lansing City Council unanimously selected current Interim City Manager George Lahanas as its next permanent city manger on Friday morning after more than three hours of back-and-forth discussion.

Lahanas has served in the interim role since October 2011, when former city manager Ted Staton stepped down to become the city manager in Upper Arlington, Ohio.

Lahanas now will be responsible for, among other things, upholding policies Staton worked to implement, including ones that affect some MSU students, such as the city’s party litter ordinance.

Lahanas also will continue to work toward implementing the city’s budget for this upcoming fiscal year, a process that will start in February.

“I’ve greatly appreciated the past 13 years of service and I’m greatly honored by the trust and confidence (the council has placed in me),” he said. “I look forward to the service.”

Throughout the meeting, council members recommended specific finalists for further discussion and also outlined their personal views on the criteria they used to make their recommendations, divulging their views related to the candidates’ leadership, financial management and other factors.

Lahanas and Plainfield, Ill. Village Administrator Brian Murphy ultimately were the two finalists council discussed following the elimination of the other candidates.

Each candidate brought unique qualities to the table, Councilmember Don Power said, but ultimately, Lahanas’ prior work in labor relations and other areas helped him rise above the rest.

“When I look at the daunting tasks we have … the tough decision in my view is who can carry that out best?” he said. “In the end, for me, it is (Lahanas).”

Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett was among the advocates for Murphy to advance into the final discussions, citing information he gathered from officials in Troy, Mich., one of the cities Murphy worked in before taking his position in Plainfield.

Triplett also recommended Lahanas be advanced into the final round of discussions. Triplett said Murphy’s work in molding regional partnerships with other nearby communities was a deciding factor in his choice to recommend that Murphy move forward in the discussions.

“That’s something that … lends itself to East Lansing,” he said, noting the importance of the relationship between MSU and the city.

Councilmember Vic Loomis offered a firm vote of confidence for Lahanas prior to the council’s decision.

“It’s a wise choice,” he said. “It’s the right choice.”

Share and discuss “City Council selects Lahanas as city manager” on social media.