Narduzzi stays, Baker out at MSU

Defensive Coordinator Pat Narduzzi jumps on senior linebacker Greg Jones after he put pressure on Purdue quarterback Rob Henry, forcing an interception. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 35-31, on Nov. 20, 2010 at Spartan Stadium.

Photo by Josh Radtke | The State News

After speculation MSU defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi was leaving to take the same position at Texas A&M, the university announced Friday night he will remain in East Lansing.

Narduzzi said in a statement released by the university that the success of the team and his defense drew attention from other schools, and he felt he “owed it to my family to investigate.”

“The bottom line remains, however, that I’m very comfortable working for Mark Dantonio and Michigan State,” Narduzzi said.

“The support from the top down is tremendous. Coach Dantonio, Athletics Director Mark Hollis, President (Lou Anna) Simon and our Board of Trustees have been very supportive and understanding as I’ve gone through this decision-making process, and I’m thankful for their patience.”

Multiple reports surfaced Thursday that Narduzzi, whose defense finished 5th in the country in total defense (272.69 yards per game), was visiting with new Aggies head coach Kevin Sumlin in College Station, Texas. Rumors Narduzzi had accepted the job began to swirl before dying down Friday.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said in the statement Narduzzi’s return builds to the momentum already gained from MSU’s back-to-back 11 win seasons and bowl win.

“We’re excited about keeping the coaching staff intact,” Dantonio said. “Staff continuity has been a key component in our sustained success.”

The Spartans, who made it very clear before the season they wanted to win the Big Ten title and play in the Rose Bowl, fell just just short of their goals, losing 42-39 to Wisconsin in the inaugural Big Ten championship game.

Narduzzi said missing out on those goals played a part in his decision to remain at MSU.

“I share the same feelings that our players and coaches have that there’s some unfinished business to take care of here,” Narduzzi said. “We’re all driven to win the Big Ten Championship and win a Rose Bowl.”

Dantonio said the raises for his assistants he discussed earlier this season still are in the works, and he said Athletics Director Mark Hollis intends to make those salaries consistent with those of the highest paid assistants in the Big Ten.

The fifth-year head coach also said that with MSU’s recent success, other job opportunities are expected for his assistant coaches.

“There’s no doubt that Pat will be a head coach sometime soon, but for now, we’re excited that he remains a Spartan as we continue our pursuit of another Big Ten Championship and our first trip to the Rose Bowl.”

Baker declares for NFL Draft
After a season that failed to live up to his own expectations, MSU junior running back Edwin Baker told the Associated Press’ Larry Lage “he is forgoing his senior season to enter the 2012 NFL.

Baker, a 5-foot-9, 210-pound Highland Park, Mich. native, had a breakout sophomore season in 2010, rushing for 1,201 yards and 13 touchdowns. He was named First-Team All-Big Ten and earned an honorable mention nod from the coaches.

Before his junior campaign, Baker set lofty goals of 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns. However, sophomore running back Le’Veon Bell emerged as MSU’s feature back, and Baker ran for just 655 yards and five touchdowns.

Fortunately for the Spartans, MSU has depth at running back, with Bell, junior Larry Caper and redshirt freshman Nick Hill slated to return for next season.

Share and discuss “Narduzzi stays, Baker out at MSU” on social media.