Professor’s unique gift remembered, missed

In research, academics and personal experiences, medieval studies and English professor Lister Matheson breathed life and fun into everything he did, colleagues and students said.

Matheson, 63, died Jan. 19 from complications of a blood disorder called aplastic anemia, said Tess Tavormina, an English professor and Matheson’s life partner.

Matheson, a resident of Haslett, was a professor of both English and medieval studies at the time of his death and taught graduate and undergraduate students.

Originally from Scotland, Matheson began working at MSU as a professor in 1986, Department of English Chairman Stephen Arch said.

Many of his academic works, particularly in the study of medieval languages and literatures in England and Scotland, are internationally known and recognized, Arch said.

Arch said Matheson was known as one of the great teachers in the English department during his career at MSU and was well-loved by many of the students who had his classes.

“He was very personable (and) jovial, with a big laugh,” Arch said. “He was larger than life.”

Former students remember Matheson as an inspiring teacher who could make a topic some might consider dull feel relatable and exciting.

Doctoral student Geoffrey Johns said he took his first-ever graduate level class with Matheson and was left with a good impression, especially when the class ended with a play to connect students to texts.

“He really tried to make the material come to life for us,” Johns said.

Even in stressful situations, Johns said Matheson had a “silver tongue” and could make anyone laugh or feel comfortable.

“He could make a really bad situation turn around — it was a real gift that he had,” he said.

Johns later worked with Matheson as a teaching assistant and said the way he related to undergraduate students in his class was something many professors who have substantial academic research pursuits would not be able to do.

“(He was) able to be both academically successful, but also was relatable to undergrads. He was a very good teacher,” Johns said. “He did transcend, in a way.”

A public memorial service celebrating Matheson’s life and work will be held at 2 p.m. April 7 in the Alumni Memorial Chapel.

Share and discuss “Professor’s unique gift remembered, missed” on social media.