Tuesday, May 7, 2024

RHA supports COGS initiative, discusses crowded cafeterias

The Residence Halls Association, or RHA, joined with its fellow student government groups in supporting an initiative to create a graduate student resource center at its Wednesday night meeting.

Representatives passed a bill showing RHA’s support to renovate the now-vacant Chittenden Hall and turn it into a center for graduate and professional student services.

Council of Graduate Students President Stefan Fletcher spoke to RHA representatives asking for support in the effort, which has been among the council’s priorities for almost 10 years.

Also during the meeting, RHA Director of Movie Offices Justin Love updated representatives on the campus movie offices, which have been experiencing technological problems across campus since last semester.

Love said only the office in Akers Hall is functional because other office computers will not properly register movie rentals. RHA President Sarah Pomeroy added she is working with Residential and Hospitality Services to receive help in addressing the technological glitches.

Associate Director of Residential Dining Bruce Haskell also addressed overcrowding in the Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls and the prospect of expanding the cafeteria to alleviate the problem. He proposed a few ideas, including enclosing the outdoor seating area to add about 80 seats or adding a second floor, but said nothing has been formally considered.

With renovations to Landon and Akers halls likely coming in the next few years, finding the money to expand the Gallery would be a challenge, he said.

Share and discuss “RHA supports COGS initiative, discusses crowded cafeterias” on social media.