Anastos discusses Munn renovations

The MSU hockey program might have some big changes on the horizon to give the team a greater home-ice advantage.

At a meeting with members of The Associated Press on Wednesday, head coach Tom Anastos said a decision will be made in the short term on whether money will be invested to renovate the nearly 40-year-old Munn Ice Arena or build a new venue altogether.

Anastos said he has set a personal 60-day window to make a decision, with it heavily dependant on funding and where the funds are best allocated for the program.

“Well, I think in either case, it’s a big win for us,” Anastos said. “Because of the size of the investment that’s going to go into (Munn) — even if there’s going to be a renovation — it’s a substantial investment. Like any building project, things all ultimately, in my experience, come down to funding, and so we’ll have to see where that might shake down how either project will be funded. We will be doing one of the two.”

In the event the university decides to build a new arena, Anastos said there are plans that can be done to benefit other programs on campus as well.

A new building would allow for renovations at Munn to benefit wrestling and gymnastics — among others — which would open up space at Jenison Field House for indoor track.

To take the hockey program to the next level, Anastos said upgrades need to be made to its player and training amenities and the office area for staff members, along with service upgrades to make hockey games a better experience for fans as well.

Anastos said the athletics department still is in the fact-finding and cost estimation stages, and the level of funding ultimately will decide whether renovations will be made or a new arena will be built.

“We want to be highly competitive and well-positioned to compete for the Big Ten championship and the national championship every year,” Anastos said. “Well, now you’re on TV all the time, so what recruits are looking for in particular are facilities — what’s going to help make them better to make the next level. Our university recognizes that. We’re in a 40-year-old building. It’s time for an upgrade.”

Share and discuss “Anastos discusses Munn renovations” on social media.