E.L. band, friends celebrate CD release

Bassist Spencer Ralph and saxophonist Royce Phillips Jr. of the band East Harvest play at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. Saturday night. The East Lansing-based group had a CD release party to showcase their first album. Derek Berggren/The State News
Bassist Spencer Ralph and saxophonist Royce Phillips Jr. of the band East Harvest play at Mac's Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave. Saturday night. The East Lansing-based group had a CD release party to showcase their first album. Derek Berggren/The State News —
Photo by Derek Berggren | and Derek Berggren The State News

After refining his skills at open mic nights on campus and at small local shows, Adrian Sanchez finally has proof his hard work is paying off.

It took connecting with music performance senior Royce Phillips and music performance sophomore Connor Ralph for Sanchez to form his band East Harvest, which released its first-ever album, also called “East Harvest,” at its release party Saturday at Mac’s Bar, 2700 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing.

“Right now we just want to record a product, show people what we can do and perform around here,” said Sanchez, who is a music performance senior.

The alternative soul band performed with two other local bands at Saturday’s event — bluegrass group The Whiskey Pickers and jazz rock act Tree Hut Kings.

Sanchez said he and his bandmates, many of whom attend MSU, were excited to perform with musicians they have played with before who are also fellow Spartans.

“It’s cool because you know those people (and) you’re going to see them Monday at school,” he said.

“It’s cool to see them up on stage rocking.”

Although band members describe themselves as having an alternative soul sound, Sanchez said the group, which utilizes various percussion instruments as well as a saxophone, can’t be categorized into a single genre. He said the act heavily is influenced by reggae and Motown music as well as country and indie styles.

Studio art sophomore Jaclyn Pack, who is friends with some members of the band and familiar with their music, said she enjoyed Saturday night’s show and the energy the band exuded while performing.

“I love their style,” she said. “It’s unique, it’s fun to dance to and I love the setting.”

Sanchez said he didn’t have a specific theme or idea in mind when coming up with material for the album.

Instead, he focused on his feelings and events that have taken place throughout his life.

“This is how I felt,” Sanchez said. “It’s the sound I hear, and this is what we created together.”

Members of the band also are actively involved with various musical groups on campus, and Sanchez said because of this busyness, it can be difficult to get everyone together to practice and perform. But Saturday’s show provided them a chance to take a break from their schoolwork and share their new music with fans.

“We’re just always busy and always performing with school-related events,” Sanchez said. “It’s fun to finally just have that night where we can play our own music.”

Williamston, Mich., resident Korie Abshire said she walked into Mac’s Bar just in time to catch the last few songs of East Harvest’s set — and she was glad she did.

Abshire and her friends said they ended up at the venue by chance, and although they were unfamiliar with the band, they said it made their night more enjoyable.

“As far as the other times that I’ve been to Mac’s, there have been bands where there are just people standing there,” Abshire said. “But (this time), people were definitely getting into it. Seeing other people excited about it gets me excited about it.”

Share and discuss “E.L. band, friends celebrate CD release” on social media.