Greek community rallies to support Hope Sovran’s goal

Hospitality business sophomore Annie Sovran tells the story of Hope, 15, her younger sister who was recently diagnosed with aplastic anemia. Hope Sovran will receive a bone marrow transplant on Feb. 28. Because she won’t be able to leave the hospital for at least a month after the operation, Hope Sovran primarily will use Skype to communicate with her family and friends. Her dream is to Skype Ellen DeGeneres.

Photo by Rebecca Ryan | The State News

When Southfield, Mich., resident Nancy Sovran made a Facebook group on Sunday to help her critically ill daughter Hope, 15, get support to Skype with Ellen DeGeneres, she expected to get 200 members if she was lucky. But four days later, the group has more than 12,000 members, and the hashtag #hiellenitshope has been creating a buzz on Twitter, in large part thanks to the MSU greek community.

Hope Sovran, whose older sisters Annie and MaryKate Sovran attend MSU, was born with spina bifida and recently diagnosed with aplastic anemia — a disease that causes the body to stop producing enough blood cells. Treatment for the disease requires Hope Sovran to undergo a bone marrow transplant. She recently began chemotherapy at the University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and will stay there for at least the next month after undergoing the transplant, Nancy Sovran said.

Professor in the College of Human Medicine James Trosko, who has studied cancer, said when someone undergoes a bone marrow transplant, it takes time for their body to accept the new marrow and begin producing it on its own. He said Hope Savron might be at a greater risk of catching diseases because her immune system will be weakened by the chemotherapy.

“She has to be kept in an environment where you can minimize all kinds of infections,” he said.
Although Hope Sovran has had 91 surgeries so far, she always is smiling and brags about how she’s had the most surgeries in her family, said Annie Sovran, a hospitality business sophomore.

While she is in the hospital, Hope Sovran said she wants to Skype with DeGeneres more than anything because she watches the show every day and loves when DeGeneres dances.

“(Hope) doesn’t care if people give her stuff — she could care less about a present,” Annie Sovran said. “She just loves knowing people care about her.”

Annie Sovran, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, and elementary education freshman MaryKate Sovran, a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, told their friends in the greek community about Hope’s goal to Skype with DeGeneres, and the response has been overwhelming.

“My big in my sorority literally added everyone that she was friends with to this (Facebook) group,” Annie Sovran said. “It brings me to tears how everyone is so supportive of this.”

Members of Alpha Chi Omega also have shown their support by inviting friends to join the group and adding the #hiellenitshope hashtag to their tweets in hopes DeGeneres will Skype with Hope Sovran. Singer Cher even used the hashtag Wednesday.

Media arts and technology sophomore Ally Barber — a member of Alpha Chi Omega and a close friend of Annie’s — said although most of the women in her sorority have never met Hope Sovran, they have been passionate about spreading her story.

“Any time I want to come up with a name on Facebook, the person is already in the group,” Barber said.

Nancy Sovran said the Facebook page is filled with messages showing support for Hope.

“I read Hope the texts every night and it keeps my spirits up during the day,” Nancy Sovran said. “This world is full of wonderful people who have rallied around Hope.”

Share and discuss “Greek community rallies to support Hope Sovran’s goal” on social media.