Japanese doll collection on display

From left to right, Ovid, Mich. residents Linda Beeman and Steveanna Roose view Japanese dolls Monday in the International Center. The Dolls of Japan exhibit helps visitors appreciate various aspects of Japanese culture. Derek Berggren/The State News

Five large wooden crates filled with more than 70 traditional Japanese dolls all neatly packed up arrived at MSU last Wednesday after visiting the Dominican Republic as part of a worldwide tour.

On Monday, the MSU community, members of the public and those who put together the event gathered for their chance to view the opening ceremony for “The Dolls of Japan: Shapes of Prayer, Embodiments of Love” exhibit in the International Center, which marks the beginning of a series of events on campus through the month of March to honor Japanese culture.

“It’s literally traveling the world,” communications director for International Studies and Programs, or ISP, Stephanie Motschenbacher said. “These dolls represent the cultures they are from.”

The Japan Foundation and the Consulate General of Japan in Detroit contacted Angela Barry, foreign language assistance program specialist in the Lansing School District, about finding a venue for the exhibit.

Barry then contacted the Japan Center for Michigan Universities, or JCMU, MSU’s Asian Studies Center and ISP, who agreed to host the event — showcasing the Japanese dolls for both MSU students and the public.

In Japan, dolls have been a part of everyday life since ancient times, development and programming coordinator in the Asian Studies Center Leslie Jablonski said.

“The dolls reflect the culture of Japan and show regional attributes of all over the country,” Jablonski said. “There is a lot of history there.”

Each doll demonstrates a different aspect of Japanese culture, such as traditional clothing, games or textiles, program director for JCMU Kate Simon said.

“Different dolls have a different significance to Japanese life and culture,” Simon said.

Japanese junior Misti Nesbitt was eager to attend the event because she has a deep interest in Japanese culture.

“When they first started setting up the dolls, I had to make sure I cleared my calender,” Nesbitt said. “It’s good to have this exposure for students, and it also invites the Japanese community.”

The dolls will be on display in the International Center lobby until March 29.

The Asian Studies Center strives to relay as much information about Asian culture as possible to both students and the Lansing community, Jablonski said.

“We are hoping that we can reach out to just about any demographic out there,” Jablonski said. “I think that anyone will enjoy this exhibit.”

This event marks the start of a month-long celebration of Japanese culture through a variety of Japanese-related events, including the 19th annual Michigan Japanese Quiz Bowl March 3 in Wells Hall. Hundreds of elementary through high school students will compete to answer questions about Japanese culture.

Share and discuss “Japanese doll collection on display” on social media.