Michigan rivalry fuels series rematch

Even with each series carrying significant importance this time of year for the No. 17 MSU hockey team, this week is slightly different.

Every word, every practice, every gym session and team meal carries a distinct buzz radiating from the coaches down to the Zamboni driver.

It’s Michigan week.

For the final series of the year against No. 4 U-M, the Spartans will look to carry the momentum of last weekend’s sweep against Ohio State into a two-game series against the Wolverines. The Spartans face off with U-M Friday (7:35 p.m., Big Ten Network) at Munn Ice Arena before traveling to Detroit on Saturday (7:35 p.m., FS Detroit) at Joe Louis Arena.

“When you look at any Michigan State-Michigan rivalry, it goes a lot further than just whether it’s on the ice surface or if it’s on the basketball court or on the gridiron,” junior defenseman Torey Krug said. “It’s two teams playing for a country. We’re playing for Spartan country right now, and that’s important for us.”

Earlier in the season, the Spartans (15-11-4 overall, 10-9-3-2) had to rally after falling behind 4-1 to Michigan at Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor but couldn’t complete the comeback and lost 4-3. The next night, the Spartans tied the game 3-3 on a late goal in the third period by sophomore forward Lee Reimer — and picked up the extra point in the standings on shootout victory.

Perhaps the loss that swung MSU’s second half momentum, the Spartans took a 2-2 game with U-M into overtime in the Great Lakes Invitational, but fell on an overtime goal by defenseman Kevin Clare to give the Wolverines their second straight title in the tournament.

MSU trails the Wolverines 124-142-19 — U-M records indicate four less victories for the Wolverines and one less for the Spartans due to a discrepancy in record keeping from the 1920s — but MSU holds the series advantage at Munn, 63-48-10.

This time around, the Spartans will look to set the pace of play and try to generate offense against Wolverine goalie Shawn Hunwick. As the primary goaltender for U-M this season, Hunwick is 17-8-3 with a 2.05 goals against average along with a .932 save percentage. Hunwick along with U-M’s CCHA-leading scoring offense (3.40 goals per game) have led the way for the team’s 6-1-1 start to 2012.

Head coach Tom Anastos said the Spartans will need to get shots on goal and generate rebound chances own offense to beat Hunwick and have an opportunity to win this weekend.

“We know, and I know — having watched (U-M head coach Red Berenson’s) teams for years and years and years — they play the way they play, and they’ll play with tempo and pace, and they’ll try to create offense through neutral zone play, and they’re really good at it,” Anastos said. “I think both teams will want to play well defensively. Both teams are going to try to take advantage of what offensive opportunities we can create, and whoever does it better will win.”

Share and discuss “Michigan rivalry fuels series rematch” on social media.