Sunday, April 28, 2024

New candidates compete for trustee positions

<p>Brian Mosallam</p>

Brian Mosallam

Two additional candidates are vying for seats on the MSU Board of Trustees in this year’s election.

Democrat Brian Mosallam, a financial adviser for Dearborn-based AXA Advisors, and Republican Jeff Sakwa, a real estate broker from Farmington Hills, Mich., are joining current trustees Joel Ferguson and Melanie Foster in the race for trustee seats.

Ferguson and Foster are incumbents, up for re-election because of term limits.

Mosallam said his position as a financial adviser will help him tackle college affordability, which Mosallam called the “800-pound gorilla” in the room, to ensure MSU’s success.

“For me to impact this as much as possible, (being a trustee) is the best way I could,” Mosallam said.

Across party lines, Sakwa said he’s a huge proponent of higher education and would love to stop Michigan’s brain drain. Keeping students in the state and turning them into taxpayers would help better the economic situation, he said.

“(There were) certain things done in the legislature and government in the past few years before (Gov. Rick) Snyder was in office that could have been more business friendly,” Sakwa said.

Both candidates are MSU alumni, and Sakwa said he credits those years for giving him experience to pursue business.

Mosallam also played on the MSU football team during the mid-90s.

“MSU football and the whole experience of MSU taught me a lot about life,” Mosallam said. “(It) showed all the different cultures at the university, discipline, hard work … and I think I apply those principles in everyday life.”

Foster, board vice chairwoman who has served since 2004, said the board’s candidates must go though a process to be nominated by their party prior to appearing on the ballot in November. She said if nominated, she will continue her commitment to keeping the quality of education at MSU high.

“I’m working hard for the nomination, and I have a majority of the leadership of the state of Michigan to endorse me,” she said.

Chairman Ferguson, who has served since 1986, said this election is about the students.

“I’ve always thought I’ll win (because) I’ve done an excellent job, I know the university,” Ferguson said. “The main issue is … trying to keep tuition as affordable as we can.”

Share and discuss “New candidates compete for trustee positions” on social media.