Saturday, May 4, 2024

Officials confirm: Ron Paul to visit MSU Feb. 27

GOP Candidate Ron Paul is planning a visit to MSU’s campus the day before the Michigan primary, university officials confirmed Thursday.

Although no contract has been signed yet, the Paul campaign is setting up an event for him to speak at the Auditorium on Farm Lane at 4 p.m.Feb. 27, said Stephanie Kribs, assistant director of operations at the Wharton Center.

Paul’s planned appearance follows a petition effort from MSU’s Youth for Ron Paul chapter, who gathered more than 1,000 student signatures, the fourth-most in the country, to bring him to campus.

Paul’s campaign has not officially announced the event, but is expected to do so Friday.

Poll numbers show a win for Paul in Michigan is not likely — Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney are leading the race — although he has come in second and third in recent primaries.

Paul has campaigned on a heavily libertarian-influenced platform, which includes cutting $1 trillion of federal spending during his first year of office.

He also has pushed for an audit of the Federal Reserve, which regulates the nation’s money supply, in an attempt to stabilize inflation.

Paul said he would eliminate government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Education and the Federal Student Loans Program.

Much of Paul’s youth support has come from his noninterventionist foreign policy. Paul has consistently opposed U.S. military action of any kind in the Middle East.

Keep checking The State News throughout the weekend and on Monday for more updates on this story.

Share and discuss “Officials confirm: Ron Paul to visit MSU Feb. 27” on social media.