Thousands turn out to support Paul at rally

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul takes the stage on Monday afternoon at Auditorium. His stop at MSU has been his biggest campaign site turnout so far. Justin Wan/The State News
Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul takes the stage on Monday afternoon at Auditorium. His stop at MSU has been his biggest campaign site turnout so far. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul made a final pitch to the MSU community the day before polls opened in a rally on campus yesterday, giving a broad overview of his platform that includes scaling back America’s presence overseas.

Although the Texas congressman is trailing far behind in the polls, his longshot bid didn’t stop students from nearly filling the 4,000-person Auditorium, a crowd his campaign staff said was the largest yet. They toted signs, wore T-shirts and broke out into “President Paul” chants several times during the speech. At 76 years old, Paul has built a national reputation of exciting a young voter base.

“I have real mixed feelings … I almost feel embarrassed, I wonder why they come,” Paul said after the rally. “But then I say ‘they come because it’s a great message.’”

Paul said he at least hopes to pick up delegates from some of the state’s districts — candidates can pick up some delegates without winning Michigan overall in the primary.

During his address, Paul gave a vast overview of his libertarian-style policies, which include putting an end to foreign wars, shutting down the Federal Reserve and taking what Paul said are measures to increase individual liberties, including a repeal of the controversial Patriot Act and National Defense Authorization Act.

The crowd was especially enthusiastic toward Paul’s stance on defense issues, leaping into standing ovations at his plans to repeal the defense act and promises not to deploy troops without congressional approval.

“If they all go out, it’s going to do very well,” Paul said of the importance of Michigan college students voting Tuesday. “I can’t say there’s been many more exciting (campuses) than this.”

Paul referenced what he called unconstitutional practices of printing more money to pay off debt, also calling to end the war on drugs.

“I think the war on drugs is more dangerous than the drugs themselves,” Paul said during the rally.

The rally, organized by Youth for Ron Paul, made a stop here because of an effort from students in the MSU chapter, who gathered more than 1,000 signatures to bring Paul to campus.

While introducing Paul to the crowd, the group’s president Ethan Davis recounted how he discovered the candidate who became his hero.

“It was in 2007 on YouTube that I first found a hero,” Davis said. “It was then that my life changed forever.”

Leading GOP candidates Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum also campaigned in Michigan on Monday, with Santorum holding a rally at a Lansing hotel and Romney holding events in Rockford, Albion and Royal Oak.

Although advertising sophomore Connor Mehren wasn’t sure what to think going into the rally, Paul won at least one supporter.

“I hadn’t done a whole lot of research on Ron Paul, but I hear good things so I figured I’d come check him out,” Mehren said from the front row spot he staked out. “I’m pretty impressed by everything he said, I’m pretty sold on him.”

Others drove from far distances to support their man.

“There’s nothing about Ron Paul I’ve found that I have an issue with at all,” said Melissa Ayers, who drove with her husband from Middleville, Mich. Both sported matching black campaign shirts. “He’s honest, been honest, he’s consistent — has been for 30 years. He’s our voice.”

Share and discuss “Thousands turn out to support Paul at rally” on social media.