Journalism freshman found dead in Hubbard Hall

Journalism freshman Olivia Pryor was found dead at about 10 a.m. Monday in South Hubbard Hall, according to a press release from the MSU Police Department.

Pryor, 18, was found unresponsive in her room by her roommate, who then called police, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said.

Although an official cause of death for Pryor has not yet been determined, McGlothian-Taylor said it likely was alcohol-related. The investigation is ongoing, and an autopsy report is underway.

University officials held an informational meeting for students in the residence hall at about 8 p.m. last night in Conrad Hall. At the meeting, after offering their condolences, officials encouraged students to meet with counselors if they needed to talk.

Students were told to cooperate with police as they continue to investigate Pryor’s death.

Friends of Pryor also were encouraged to share their stories and remember Pryor’s life.

Psychology freshman Kelsi Smith, one of Pryor’s close friends, was shocked to hear about her classmate’s death.

Describing Pryor as loud, perky and upbeat, Smith said she will never forget her friend’s positive attitude and her funny personality.

“She always got along with everybody,” Smith said of Pryor. “She was always trying to make people laugh.”

Marketing freshman Deon Howard said Pryor’s enthusiasm always stood out to him, both in her social activities and in the classroom.

“She would always sit in the front of the class,” Howard said. “She was a really good student.”

Smith said she couldn’t believe it when she first heard the news, and still is trying to grasp the reality of the situation.

“It seems she’d be the last person you think this would happen to,” Smith said.

Keep checking The State News for further updates on this story.

Share and discuss “Journalism freshman found dead in Hubbard Hall” on social media.