Local musicans look to showcase talent at Singer/Songwriter Night

With his first-ever show in Lansing, Fernando Solis hopes to kick-start his young music career.

The Flint, Mich., resident performs frequently in his hometown but said he wants to share his music with more of Michigan and eventually the country.

“I really want to start branching out and book a tour,” Solis said.

And Solis believes his performance at Singer/Songwriter Night this Friday at The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, will help him get started. Solis will be joined by four other singer-songwriters from throughout Michigan at the show.

“It’s really hard to find venues and communities of artists that really cater to singer-songwriters, and not only that, but writers in general,” he said. (Friday’s show is) going to be an event that’s specifically geared toward what I’m doing right now.”

Some of the event’s performers, such as Lansing area-based singer-songwriter Jory Stultz, already are drawing in a crowd of fans for the evening’s show.

Lansing resident Matt Waterman said he first saw Stultz perform at a house show and since has been a fan of his music. Waterman said he plans to attend Friday’s event to see the progress Stultz has made as a musician.

“I’m mainly going for him,” he said. “I just know that he’s a talented dude, (and) I’m hoping to see what he’s up to now.”

Lansing-based artist Travis Valentine, who performs under the stage name Bluffing The Ghosts, said he is excited to sing at Friday’s event because there will be other musicians present with a style similar to his own, unlike at other shows he has played in the past.

“I’m always happy to play my music for anyone who is willing to listen,” he said. “Being Singer/Songwriter Night, it was an opportunity to not be the one acoustic guy opening for a bunch of louder bands.”

Valentine, who views his music as more of a hobby than a potential career, said most of his songs focus on challenges he faced while growing up.

“I write a lot about stuff that’s kind of bumming me out and day-to-day struggles,” he said. “A lot of it ends up being sad.”

Maturing and transforming also are recurring themes throughout Solis’ work as well.

“The songs that I’ve been working on lately have been more so about personal change,” he said. “It’s a lot of self-reflection.”

Solis said he looks forward to the chance to connect with audience members Friday because that is one of his favorite parts about performing.

“When you go onstage, you’re really throwing everything out there,” he said. “You feel like you’re naked. When you’re able to connect with people, you feel less vulnerable.”

Share and discuss “Local musicans look to showcase talent at Singer/Songwriter Night” on social media.