Summer camps provide kids with summer opportunities

Children can be seen in swarms walking around MSU’s campus, as summer camps kick off in East Lansing. Students in grades K-12 will visit campus through the month of August for camps sponsored by MSU departments.

Both the MSU Community Music School and MSU Sports Camps had programs begin last week, and camps for both programs go until the end of July and beginning of August.

MSU Sports Camps offer programs related to 17 sports this summer, and some camps, including the hockey camp, already have sold out, Associate Athletics Director Karen Langeland said.

The athletic camps are run by the head coaches of each sport, but assistant coaches, local high school coaches, former players and current players also have the possibility of working at the camps, Langeland said.

Although the athletic camps serve people ages 6 to 18, the music camps on campus can serve a much wider range, as some of the camps are open to people of all ages, such as the Music Therapy Camp, Community Music School Director Jaime DeMott said.

But camps in the MSU Community Music School aren’t just focused on playing instruments, as there is also a camp centered around musical theater, DeMott said.

“The music programs give (participants) an opportunity to keep studying their instrument or their musical practice, and it is a great opportunity to build community and meet some new folks,” DeMott said.

Baseball head coach Jake Boss Jr., head of the baseball camp at MSU, has a similar outlook on the sports camps, as he sees the camp as a way to help the MSU community as a whole.

Boss said part of the camp’s goal is to see how young players perform and get a chance to understand their playing style and how coachable they are. Some players on the current MSU baseball team have attended MSU Sports Camps, he said.

“It’s good for the university because they get a chance to make some money out of it, it is good for the athletic department because we get a chance to show off the facility and it is good for the community,” he said.

Director of Events and Championships for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics Seth Kesler said the most popular programs are generally basketball, football, soccer, volleyball and hockey, and programs for both teams and individuals are offered so no one feels left out.

“Our coaches and student-athletes take pride in their camps; they want it to be a showcase for their programs and for the university,” Kesler said. “You will see head coaches like Mark Dantonio, Tom Izzo or Suzy Merchant actively involved with coaching the kids that attend their camps.”

Both programs sponsored by the MSU Community Music School and MSU Sports Camps range in length, and they are offered as both day camps and overnight camps.

Spots still are available for some programs from both of the departments, and more information on how to apply and register can be found on their websites.

Share and discuss “Summer camps provide kids with summer opportunities” on social media.