Adopt-a-thon connects pets to new families

Lily Ackerman, 2, of Lansing plays with a kitten Saturday afternoon, July 14, 2012 at the Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing.  The Adopt-a-Thon named Woofstock gives residents the chance to adopt a wide variety of abandoned cats and dogs. Adam Toolin/The State News
Lily Ackerman, 2, of Lansing plays with a kitten Saturday afternoon, July 14, 2012 at the Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing. The Adopt-a-Thon named Woofstock gives residents the chance to adopt a wide variety of abandoned cats and dogs. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

Following five months in the Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing, Mich., and an additional month in a foster home, Woody, a pit bull mix, finally found a permanent home Saturday.

Although his former owners had to get rid of him because he was too active for them to handle, he found shelter through the Humane Society until Saturday, when Grand Ledge, Mich., resident Kami Emerick adopted him at Woofstock.

The adoption event was held at the Capital Area Humane Society, or CAHS, 7095 W. Grand River Ave., from 9 a.m. to midnight.

The pit bull mix was one of about 47 animals adopted yesterday from the shelter, and the adopt-a-thon was part of a summer campaign to get 1,000 animals adopted from the shelter from June to August. As of Saturday night, about 400 animals were adopted.

CAHS President and CEO Julia Palmer said the shelter, which can hold a maximum of about 250 animals, hosted the event with outdoor music, food and a celebratory walk for alumni who had been adopted from the shelter, so that people who might not usually come into the shelter would be drawn in.

Emerick said this was her first time adopting an animal from CAHS, and she decided to come because of the countless homeless animals in need of adoption.

“There are a lot of homeless animals that need homes,” Emerick said. “Rather than going through breeders, I wanted to go through the shelter.”

CAHS adult volunteer Connie Kapugia comes into the shelter about three times a week to help train the dogs, making them more adoptable and well-behaved. Leading up to Woofstock, she has worked with many of the dogs to get them ready for adoption.

“They’re like kids,” Kapugia said of the dogs she works with. “Each one has a special place in my heart.”

Woody stole Emerick’s heart by being a goof, and Emerick said she had to take him home because she loves pit bulls.

Emerick has one other dog at home, a beagle named Cristo. She said at first, Cristo and Woody’s relationship was a bit strained, mostly because Woody is so energetic. She brought Cristo to the shelter to meet Woody before she completed the adoption, Emerick said.

“At first, my dog Cristo was apprehensive because Woody really likes to play,” she said.

“But Cristo kind of told him he needed to back off, and Woody understood that.”

When Emerick first brought her new furry friend home, he didn’t even like to play with a tennis ball — that is, until he found out that it could squeak. Now, constant squeaks can be heard from Woody, who keeps his tennis ball with him.

“He has a lot of energy, but he’s doing really well,” Emerick said. “I think he’s going to fit in
well here.”

Share and discuss “Adopt-a-thon connects pets to new families” on social media.