Wednesday, May 15, 2024

El Azteco, and surrounding building, to be razed in future

There are big changes ahead for the downtown block of buildings that house El Azteco, but East Lansing residents don’t have to buckle their seatbelts just yet.

Paul Vlahakis, new owner and developer of El Azteco, 225 Ann St., said he plans to raze the block of buildings entirely after 2-3 years of testing, research, and observation.

“It’s a long process … to get something the city would like to see, and something that makes sense,” Vlahakis said. “Market studies are really important, and we want to see how the new residential space gets absorbed.”

Vlahakis is a managing member of 225 Ann Street LLC, the development group that owns the block of buildings to the east of El Azteco, so gaining the Mexican restaurant seemed like a natural progression, Vlahakis said.

“I’ve been working with Art Santa Cruz (former owner of El Azteco) for quite a long time, he’s a friend,” Vlahakis said. “We already owned the building to the east of El Azteco, but we just acquired (the restaurant) … Although there’s going to be a development there, when it is redeveloped El Azteco will still remain the way it’s been for the last (36) years.”

With the new St. Anne Lofts construction next door, and the apartments on Grove Street coming in, Vlahakis hopes his new development will match the progressive theme that downtown East Lansing is heading towards.

“East Lansing is getting a facelift, and the trend will continue,” Vlahakis said.

Spartan Sprirts Liquor, one of the businesses that will be re-developed by Vlahakis in the next few years, is looking forward to the changes on the horizon.

“We’re looking forward to (the new development) and seeing some growth with the new owner and landlord,” Michael Mansour, owner and manager of Spartan Spririts Liquor, said. “We don’t expect much to change in the near future. We’ve been here for 21 years and we’re fine with how things are going, but we will welcome the new changes as they come.”

Some of the other business owners in the block are eagerly anticipating what’s in store for them, but are apprehensive at the same time.

“We are very excited (for the changes). It’s going to be a little tough doing the construction, but I’m sure at the end it will be worth it,” Fareed Nessari, co-owner of Sultan’s Restaurant 235 Ann St., said. “Of course concerns will be there, but we knew that it might happen, and when it comes, we’ll deal with it the best way we can.”

For urban planning senior Sam Schultz, the redevelopment could be a step in the right direction for El Azteco.

“As long as they are improvements … I wouldn’t mind (seeing changes),” Schultz said. “Going to eat on the roof is better than eating on the inside, so improvements on the inside would be good.”

One of Vlahakis’ goals is to create a more “college town” like atmosphere in the downtown area with his redevelopment.

“Right now there’s a fine line … MSU is on one side, and East Lansing on the other. It’s time to bring them together,” Vlahakis said. “MSU is a beautiful university, East Lansing should match. We’re getting a good start.”

Share and discuss “El Azteco, and surrounding building, to be razed in future” on social media.