Living at college complicates voter registration

Two weeks from today, polling places across the state will be filled with citizens casting their ballots for Democratic and Republican candidates for local, state and national office.

But living in a college town can complicate matters, as many students are torn between voting for East Lansing candidates and returning to their hometowns.

Karen McKnight Casey, director of the Center for Service Learning and Civic Engagement, said in her experience as a creator of YouVote — a collaborative committee among East Lansing officials, MSU officials and students — she has observed many students vote in the place they feel most at home, and some send absentee ballots if they can’t make it to a precinct in person.

YouVote was formed in 2001 after a new law required voters to list the same address on their driver’s license as on their voter IDs, Casey said.

Since then, the committee has sought ways to encourage citizens to vote informatively on the issues affecting the state.

“(Voting) is fundamental to who we are as citizens in this country,” Casey said. “That is our voice. It’s almost better off not voting if you don’t vote in an educated manner.”

East Lansing City Clerk Marie McKenna said her biggest concern is getting students registered to vote at the right precinct, which can be confusing to students who move in and out of dorms.

But McKenna said there are tools through the Secretary of State’s Office that can help determine where to vote.

“The bottom line is we want student voters to have a very positive experience,” McKenna said.
Students who already are registered to vote in next month’s primary and November’s general election are all set, but for students who are not registered, there are steps to take to be ready for the next election.

The deadline has passed to register to vote in the Aug. 7 primary, but the deadline to register for the Nov. 6 general election is Oct. 9.

“You have to do your homework for class, (and) you should do your homework for voting, too,” Casey said.

Secretary of State Ruth Johnson said voter reforms, including expanding absentee ballot access and streamlining the registration process, will make elections more efficient.

“Our system is the best in the world and I encourage every voter who can do so to register and vote to have their voice heard on Election Day,” Johnson said.

Share and discuss “Living at college complicates voter registration” on social media.