Man charged in death of former MSU student denied bond

Marquez Dominique Cannon,17, from Eastpointe, Mich. leaves the courtroom Tuesday morning, July 3, 2012 at 54B district court 101 Linden Street.  Cannon has been charged in the death of former MSU freshman Olivia Pryor. Adam Toolin/The State News
Marquez Dominique Cannon,17, from Eastpointe, Mich. leaves the courtroom Tuesday morning, July 3, 2012 at 54B district court 101 Linden Street. Cannon has been charged in the death of former MSU freshman Olivia Pryor. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

The man allegedly responsible for the death of former MSU freshman Olivia Pryor was denied a bond request today in 54B district court, 101 Linden Street.

Marquez Dominique Cannon, a 17 year old from Eastpointe, Mich. is facing charges of criminal sexual conduct, injury to an incapacitated victim, selling or furnishing to a minor causing death and criminal sexual conduct force or coercion.

On March 19, Pryor was discovered dead by her roommate in her South Hubbard Hall room. MSU police determined alcohol was a factor and criminal sexual conduct did take place.

Cannon was originally denied bond, but due to his lack of prior record, his defense attorney requested a a bond set at $30,000.

Debra Rousseau of Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office argued that Cannon allegedly assaulted two women and upon searching his phone, officials found a video of a third unidentified female, unconscious and unclothed from the waist down on his device. Rousseau said this made him dangerous to the community.

Defense argued this was mere allegation and due to the technical nature of phones, the video could have been forwarded to his phone.

Judge David Jordan pointed out one of the women who was allegedly assaulted died, and due to the serious nature of the case, denied the bond.

The pretrial, which can be completed over the phone, will be Aug. 14 and the preliminary examination will be Aug. 17.

Cannon is a recent 2012 high school graduate and prior to the incident, a bus boy at Harbor House in Detroit. His attorney said he was a “distinguished candidate” for the U.S. Air Force.

If convicted of all counts, Jordan said Cannon faces the possibility of life in prison.

Share and discuss “Man charged in death of former MSU student denied bond” on social media.