Staying active can prevent millions of deaths yearly

Although physical fitness is important to graduate student Clark Goeman, he still falls prey to the occasional indulgences most people treat themselves to.

According to a new study released by the British medical journal The Lancet, physical inactivity contributes to the death of one in every ten people.

Chronicling the causes for death in 2008, the study found that inactivity resulted in 5.3 million of the 57 million premature deaths worldwide.

The study suggests that with just a little bit of change, many lives can be saved.

“If inactivity were not eliminated, but decreased instead by 10 percent or 25 percent, more than 533,000 and more than 1.3 million deaths, respectively, could be averted every year.” the study said.

Jim Pivarnik, professor of Kinesiology and Epiemiology and Biostatistics, said the study uses statistics from large epidemiological studies that focus on the cause of death.

Pivarnik said the findings are an obvious statistic, but that few seem to take it to heart.

“It’s certainly very preventable,” Pivarnik said. “We could do a little bit better in educating people.”
Pivarnik, who has added walk breaks to his daily routine as a way to stay in better shape, said that walking three miles every three to five days could help many stay active.

According to Pivarnik, the key to a workout program is that the activity must be an enjoyable one to avoid not wanting to get up and exercise.

“(People) try to do things they have to do instead of thing they like to do,” he said. “Sometimes it takes a one-on-one sort of counseling.”

Justin Grinnell, co-owner and head trainer of State Of Fitness, 2655 East Grand River Ave., said his gym is a great way to get some coaching.

“We give them a plan to work out, and it makes a big difference,” Grinnell said.

Grinnell said MSU offers many places that give students inexpensive alternatives to bigger gyms and that walking and riding bikes to class is another way to stay in shape.

“There is no reason why students shouldn’t work out,” Grinnell said.

He added that there is an additional temptation of all the options to eat on and around campus.
“It’s very simple,” he said. “Most people who aren’t active also don’t pay attention to what they put in their body.”

Grinnell said that especially during a student’s freshman year, working out can get pushed to the side.

Psychology junior Patrycja Zdziarska, said she doesn’t currently have a work out plan, but occasionally goes running with her friends.

“I have a busy lifestyle, so I don’t have time to work out regularly,” Zdziarska said.

She added that her friends are the best coaches and that it wouldn’t be worth paying for a trainer.

“A coach wouldn’t be helpful because I like to run at my own pace and they would push you,” she said.

Clark Goeman has separated his shoulder a total of nine times, so since the age of 17 has had a daily fitness routine.

“I use the exercise ball and the Bosu and do a lot of balance and core conditioning,” Goeman said. “If I don’t get exercise for a while, then I’m really sore.”

Still, Goeman said he enjoys smoking and drinking alcohol, even though he tries to stay physically fit.

“I have this contradiction personal fitness where I exercise and I try to maintain my body to some extent,” he said. “But I still have those indulgences like everybody else.”

Share and discuss “Staying active can prevent millions of deaths yearly” on social media.