Unknown building found near Morrill Hall

MSU Physical Plant Construction representative Andy Linebaugh observes the site of an early 1900's boiler room structure buried behind Morrill Hall Monday, July 9, 2012.  The MSU Archeology Department is currently inspecting the site. Adam Toolin/The State News
MSU Physical Plant Construction representative Andy Linebaugh observes the site of an early 1900's boiler room structure buried behind Morrill Hall Monday, July 9, 2012. The MSU Archeology Department is currently inspecting the site. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

Construction workers at the West Circle steam loop found quite the surprise last Tuesday when they discovered the foundation of a wall below the ground near Morrill Hall.

The wall, which Lynne Goldstein, anthropology professor and director of MSU Campus Archaeology Program, said probably was built in 1900, likely was an old boiler building constructed to support the demand for more energy for Morrill Hall.

Goldstein said there was no record of the building on MSU’s historical map, and the building likely was forgotten prior to its discovery last week.

“What is interesting about it is that people have forgotten that it existed,” Goldstein said. “It gives us another piece of info in terms of how MSU operated and also how it was sustainable.”

The MSU Campus Archaeology Program will continue to study the site to determine what the structure was used for and to search for artifacts, she said.

MSU Physical Plant construction representative Andy Linebaugh said the discovery likely will not delay the rest of the West Circle steam loop project.

To learn more about the wall, check Thursday’s edition of The State News.

Share and discuss “Unknown building found near Morrill Hall” on social media.