Yoga bus tour makes stop in E.L.

Miami-based yoga instructor and proponent of sacred activism Moses Jas Jeet Singh sits during a class Tuesday called Raw Organic Vinyasa Flow at Yoga State, 515 E. Grand River Ave. “Africa is an illusion,” Moses’ wife Zeina ZeeZee Love Smidi said, referencing the idea that people from Africa are no different from Americans and are worthy of equal welfare.

A school bus painted green and powered by vegetable oil is transporting two yoga masters, a small dog and one big mission.

The bus, transformed from a prison bus into a bright green, environmentally conscious mode of transportation, is traveling the East Coast for an eco-adventure with elite yoga master Moses Jas Jeet Singh, whose given name is Michael Kup, and Zeina ZeeZee Love Smidi.

They came not to only teach their unique flying yoga class at Yoga State, but discuss world issues with people — all while spreading the love of yoga and what it can do for your body’s well-being, Moses said. People drove to the studio, 515 E. Grand River Ave., from as far as West Bloomfield for the enlightening experience.

“They’ve taken this bus that used to transport prisoners and the spirit of those people and completely transformed the bus into a positive way of sharing the art of yoga with others and helping those that need it in Africa,” Yoga State instructor Kendall McDougall said. “It shows you have the power to change anything into something positive, and Moses is one of those people that’s actually gutsy enough to do it.”

The I Love Yoga Africa Yoga Green Bus Tour aims to spread the word about yoga, community, conscious living, alternative energy, community service and much more. Moses is very dedicated to the global community and this trip fulfills his giving personality as he spreads his hopeful nature to bring people together from around the world, he said.

Moses teaches yoga and founded the I Love Yoga clothing company in Northern Miami, which he also calls home. The company developed a specific line that gives 100 percent of the profits to the Africa Yoga Project, which was developed by Moses and Zeina’s friend.

“She was on a safari and saw these acrobatic jungle men and ended up going back to Africa despite what people were telling her to do. She learned flying yoga and started the foundation,” Zeina said, referring to Africa Yoga Project co-developer, Paige Elenson. “Moses did the first fundraiser for her in Miami.”

The Africa Yoga Project commits to empowering youth, building a global community and increasing the well-being in East Africa. Those affiliated with the project have introduced hundreds of students between 16 and 30 years old in Nairobi, Kenya, to the practice of yoga as well as provided educational scholarships, job training, food stipends, temporary housing and health services.

The African people learn not only the practice of yoga, but discover the enriching sense of courage and strength yoga can provide to the human body. Living on less than $2 a day, many of the students personally are affected by HIV and AIDS and are living or have lived on the streets, the Africa Yoga Project Web site stated.

Moses and Zeina have devoted their lives to spreading techniques of self-empowerment and understanding that everyone has a story to tell, which has been the most fulfilling part, Zeina said.

“I try to connect people with each other and move them closer to their purpose in life and closer to the planet by sharing stories of the reality the world is in,” Moses said. “I connect people to yoga and raise money for this wonderful project, but most importantly I learn how to help others by the stories I am privileged to hear on my travels.”

Zeina shared special flying yoga and breathing techniques with people outside the yoga studio while they waited for the class to begin while Moses walked around with a smile.

“Moses literally gives almost everything he makes away, he is one of the most giving people I have met in a while and it’s just part of his nature,” McDougall said as Moses gave away a free pair of yoga pants.

The duo seemed very aware of their impact on others and are passionate about making the flying yoga class comfortable, safe and enjoyable for everyone in the dimly lit, warm studio.

Yoga State invited the tour to come to East Lansing after having a great experience at Moses’ class in West Bloomfield, founder of Yoga State Jen Hayes said.

“We are so happy they stopped by on their long road trip. This place is where students can come and let go,” Hayes said. “As yoga teachers, we learn from each other, and I never preplan my yoga classes, I walk in and teach what energy I feel the class has that day — and Moses definitely teaches every class that way, too.”

The yoga studio is a place many call home, and students are encouraged to try yoga as beneficial outlet to relieve stress, anxiety, and improve your mood, Hayes said.

“It’s safe, it smells good, it’s warm, it’s a place of peace, happiness and safety,” social work junior Sloane Montgomery said. “Yoga has no judgement, just be who you feel like being and it makes you feel strong and full of life, energy and self-respect with a sense that everything is going to be OK.”

The Green Bus Tour is headed to Knoxville, Tenn., next and will be ending the tour in Florida.

Share and discuss “Yoga bus tour makes stop in E.L.” on social media.