Spartans shift focus to rivalry game vs. Michigan

Then-junior linebacker Greg Jones takes down Michigan running back Carlos Brown during the Oct. 3, 2009 game at Spartan Stadium. MSU defeated U-M, 26-20, in overtime.

It didn’t take long for MSU senior linebacker Greg Jones to start thinking about Saturday’s game against No. 18 Michigan.

As time was winding down in No. 17 MSU’s 34-24 win against No. 20 Wisconsin on Saturday, Jones already had begun preparing for the Spartans’ biggest rival.

“That is the biggest game of the year, bottom line,” Jones said. “It just is. … My focus went to U-M once the seconds ticked off of the clock. It wasn’t really long.”

Jones and his teammates have won the last two games against U-M, but the senior would like to finish his career on a high note. He’ll get that chance when MSU travels to Michigan Stadium on Saturday (3:30 p.m., ABC).

Fellow teammate and senior linebacker Eric Gordon said the Wolverines boast a tremendous athlete in quarterback Denard Robinson, who leads the nation in rushing with 905 yards. The Wolverines’ team speed will test the Spartans, but after Saturday’s effort against Wisconsin, the defense is prepared for anything.

“We’ve just got to refocus, get our minds off of this (victory) and move forward,” Gordon said. “I feel like we have such great confidence right now that we don’t really care who the opponent is. We’re just going to go out and play our hardest.”

The Spartans’ defense matched up with the physical Wisconsin attack Saturday, pursuing Wisconsin running back John Clay with everything they had and holding him to 80 yards. The Wolverines’ offense doesn’t possess anywhere near the size that the Badgers did, but have significantly more speed in the skill areas.

MSU will prepare this week with added intensity as they practice for what annually is considered its biggest game.

“Obviously, there is the intensity about this (upcoming) week in our preparation,” junior quarterback Kirk Cousins said. “U-M is going to have the same type of intensity in their preparation. (Head coach Mark) Dantonio is going to make sure that we are as prepared as we can be.”

Skill positions shine

Before the season, the MSU football team talked about how its depth at the skill positions would wear down opposing defenses.

Saturday, the Spartans passed and ran effectively with several players making contributions, showing for the first time what people had been talking about all offseason.

The Spartans received contributions from six receivers and three running backs during Saturday’s game, with all of them making an impact on the game.

“It was a total team effort,” Cousins said. “It was everyone contributing. That is what we are going to have if we are going to have a great year.”

Sophomore running back Edwin Baker was his usual self, rushing for 87 yards on 18 carries to lead the attack. Freshman running back Le’Veon Bell added 75 yards on 16 carries, and sophomore Larry Caper, who missed the first two weeks because of a hand injury, made his presence felt late as he caught a screen pass and went 35 yards on MSU’s final drive.

Senior wide receiver Mark Dell, senior tight end Charlie Gantt and junior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham each caught touchdown passes. Junior tight end Brian Linthicum and junior receivers Keith Nichol and Keshawn Martin each had at least two catches.

“I have a lot of confidence in our wide receivers to go out there and make plays,” Martin said. “To know that you have guys like that on the side of you makes it that much easier.”

Martin earns Big Ten honor

Martin was named the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week this week following his 74-yard punt return for a touchdown and 154 yards on kick returns and punt returns.

The versatile wide receiver now has scored touchdowns via punt return, kick return, running, passing and receiving in his career. Martin was named the conference’s special teams player of the week following MSU’s 42-34 loss against Minnesota on Oct. 31 of last season, when Martin totaled 284 all-purpose yards.

Share and discuss “Spartans shift focus to rivalry game vs. Michigan” on social media.