FRIB construction approved by MSU Board

The first phase of construction for the multimillion dollar Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, was approved by the MSU Board of Trustees at their meeting last Friday, along with several other campus construction projects.

The board approved a budget of $20 million for the FRIB project, and the site will begin to be prepared within weeks. Excavation will begin in May.

The university currently is waiting on national funding for the project from the Department of Energy, said MSU Trustee Melanie Foster. The entire FRIB project is set to cost about $600 million with funding from the Department of Energy, state appropriations and MSU, although federal funding has been called into question in recent weeks.

“This is an enormous project, and it’s incremental,” Foster said. “Our approvals are in line and the state of Michigan … has confirmed that they will keep up the state’s proportion of the project once
the federal money is in place.”

The entire project is slated to be complete by 2020.

The board also approved renovation plans for the first-floor lobby of the Union that include switching the locations of the post office and Biggby Coffee. The project, which is expected to be completed in August, has a budget of $2.4 million.

Accounting freshman Janine Kozlowski said the new design reminded her of an airport upon seeing renderings of the planned renovations, but she said the new look is not enough to attract more students to the Union.

“No one even really chills here,” she said. “I already go to the women’s lounge, so it doesn’t really change my opinion.”

The creation of a fourth neighborhood engagement center was approved by the board as well. The River Trail neighborhood engagement center will be housed in McDonel Hall and is scheduled to open in August.

Each engagement center on campus is unique, and the River Trail center will have a business focus, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said.

“The response to the other neighborhood’s (engagement centers) have been really positive,” Simon said. “We want to continue the positive momentum.”

The last engagement center will be housed in the Union and is expected to be open in the fall of 2013, said Vennie Gore, assistant vice president for MSU Residential and Hospitality Services.

The board also approved a variety of other construction projects including replacing the existing scoreboard and sound system at Spartan Stadium, demolishing the old Michigan State Police post on Harrison Road and renovations to Armstrong and Bryan halls.

Spartan Stadium will have a new scoreboard on the south end of the stadium, as well as two scoreboards on the north end and a 10.5-foot video wall.

“You can add sponsorship along the side of the screen,” she said. “Also, there can be sponsorship on the band on the north end just like in (Breslin Center).”

Human biology sophomore Tyler Hill said he hopes the stadium renovations help boost the reputation of MSU’s program.

“The one we have now isn’t bad — but these look sweet,” Hill said of the scoreboard renderings.

Share and discuss “FRIB construction approved by MSU Board” on social media.